Mar 11, 2014

You obviously have a larger sense of yourself.

I’m always amazed by people’s behavior... or rather what I mean to say is that I am perpetually surprised by the ways that people can disappoint me.

Disappointment is a funny thing...

You put your trust in people and you try to keep an open mind and when things go off the rails it makes you want to shut yourself away (or at least that’s what it does to me). I think in some ways many of us are susceptible to this malady especially as the years rack up.

People come into and out of your orbit and the funny thing is once they pass out of your orbit they remain fixed in time, in your mind’s eye. This kind of picture perfect memory of them as people, their personalities both good and bad are frozen in place.

Memory though is a funny thing in that, it always paints a rosier picture of the world on a personal level. There is that nostalgia that can color the world of the past, that makes that place a prettier, nicer and more ideal locale than what it was.


Awhile back someone asked me to provide advice to their kid going into the graphics field. I hadn’t seen these people in over ten years either and over the last year or so I did what I could to help out and show interest. I did these things as much as you can do from a distance (which could be considered minimal at best).

But damned if it wasn’t placed in a weird light and something came to my attention recently that I found so reprehensible, so far over the top it put me in that place again where I want nothing to do with anyone.

And that’s the immediate thing but like any bad meal you just have to let your system process something and then sh*t it out and flush it away. And when I do think about it, I think of how incredibly immature the whole thing I saw was, I realize there really is no point in being drawn in any further into that crazy orbit. As much as you want people to stay fixed in that ideal place, that’s not the way the world works.

And as the days pass I find I have little tolerance for this kind of childish nonsense, it only serves as a cautionary tale not so much to avoid trying to help others but to be more selective about those you deem worthy of giving a crap about.

No comments: